Why more than six million Americans cannot vote


More than six million Americans of voting age – that is one out of every 40 people of voting age in the country will be ineligible to vote in the upcoming elections. They are people who have been convicted of a felony, a crime typically punishable by more than a year in prison, and who, as a result, have had their voting rights taken away from them.

"I feel like my voice doesn't matter, that I'm a second class citizen. I’ve payed a lot of taxes over the last decade but yet I can’t put a little ‘X’ in a box on a ballot because I once was convicted of a felony."

Anonymous, Kentucky

Completed sentence eight years ago

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nigeria hunger crises can kill 200 children per day.

Warning against 'volcano tourism' risks

Cardi B explains why she 'drugged and robbed' men