Inspirational, lifestyle, News, and everything in the middle
Ed Woodward faces make-or-break six months to finally fix Man United
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
For Ed Woodward, Manchester United's executive vice-chairman, the
next six months will make or break his reputation -- and possibly his
career. He left the Cardiff City Stadium as a happy and relieved man
after Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's first game as caretaker manager ended in an
emphatic 5-1 victory just four days after Jose Mourinho's sacking. But
Woodward, a former investment banker, will surely know that the hard
work has only just begun.
First things first, Woodward's
job as the man who runs United on a day-to-day basis will remain the
safest at Old Trafford while the Glazer family continue to own the club.
Having played a key role in facilitating the Glazers' leveraged
takeover back in 2005, when he worked in JP Morgan's mergers and
acquisitions team, Woodward has forged such a strong relationship with
the American owners, particularly Joel and Avram Glazer, that one source
told ESPN FC that he would be "the last man standing at United if they
[Glazers] had to make everybody redundant apart from the guy who stayed
to keep the lights on."
But Woodward is also a man who wants to be
respected and liked. He takes criticism to heart and has felt let down
by some of the negative comments and coverage over the years. In the
tough, unforgiving world of football, his lack of cynicism and a
streetwise edge has counted against him.
Only he knows how much
more criticism and ridicule he can take if he fails to make the right
decisions between now and the end of this season. He might be rock solid
under the Glazers, but how long will Woodward want to carry on if he
continues to be regarded as a man who is better at his old job than his
current one?
Having sacked Mourinho last Tuesday, following a
series of telephone conversations with the Glazers last Monday, Woodward
has taken the first step towards getting United to where the club
believes it should be. With Mourinho gone, Woodward can press on with
the task of recruiting a world-class manager to rebuild the team at the
same time as identifying and hiring the technical director that, until
recently, he and the Glazers were so insistent was not required by
United.
In 2013, when Woodward succeeded David Gill as the club's most senior
executive, there was a tangible sense of naivety about the man whose
previous role was to make United the most appealing brand in world sport
for potential sponsors. He was so successful in that job that it was
perhaps inevitable he believed he would be similarly outstanding when it
came to doing deals in the transfer market and overseeing United's
footballing success.
But those first six months were so shambolic
-- Woodward was not helped by inheriting an ill-equipped and
out-of-his-depth David Moyes as manager -- that the 47-year-old is still
judged by his early false steps.
Moyes had been told that United
had the money and ambition to sign Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and
Cesc Fabregas, but he ended up with Marouane Fellaini in the final
minutes of the transfer window as Woodward was outflanked by Real
Madrid, Barcelona and a variety of agents when it came to landing the
bigger names.
When United's form nosedived under Moyes, Woodward
made clear his belief that it would be a one-year blip because United,
in a sporting sense, were too big and too rich to fail. He spoke of
selling the dream to prospective signings of being the players to revive
a great club, but five years on, the cycle of underachievement has not
been broken. There have been too many bad signings and misjudged
appointments -- not all Woodward's fault -- and it seems that only now,
in the wake of the decline under Mourinho, have United finally realised
their mistakes of the past five years.
Woodward accepts that
United need a technical director, having initially claimed that the
club's old-school model of manager and chief executive working in tandem
was the one for them. That appointment would already had been made but
for Mourinho's resistance to having such a figure parachuted into the
position while he was manager.
There is also a realisation within United that their wealth and
commercial power is not a panacea for all the team's problems. The
painful reality has dawned on them: money cannot buy everything.
Woodward
and the Glazers also accept that constant talk -- some would say
boasting -- of United's revenue streams is not good for business while
the team is not winning, even though the money continues to pour in.
Finally,
after five years and almost a billion pounds spent on new signings,
United have realised that they need to be a football club again.
But
having reached that epiphany, Woodward must follow it through and show
himself to be as smart, decisive and tough as his counterparts such as
Ferran Soriano at Manchester City or Daniel Levy at Tottenham. Woodward
has to prove to his critics, including former United greats such as Gary
Neville, that he can implement a structure at Old Trafford that will be
fit for purpose and good enough to make the team competitive again in
the Premier League and Champions League.
Woodward has already
sanctioned the overhaul of the club's academy and scouting network and,
from the youth development side at least, that work is beginning to bear
fruit, with United's youngsters knocking holders Chelsea out of the FA
Youth Cup.
But Woodward will not be judged by the results of the
youth team. His reputation will be shaped by what happens on the pitch
and how many times United win the Premier League and Champions League.
And despite the mistakes of the past, if Woodward gets it right over the
next six months, he will finally get the respect that he craves.
After a little back and forth between TikTok and Trump, the future of ByteDance‘s viral TikTok app was up in the air as of early this week. That uncertainty has now been resolved in favor of Donald Trump as he has just placed an executive order banning all transactions from the app. Under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and the National Emergencies Act, the executive order goes on to state that “the spread in the United States of mobile applications developed and owned by companies in the People’s Republic of China…continues to threaten the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States. At this time, action must be taken to address the threat posed by one mobile application, in particular, TikTok.” WeChat (owned by China’s Tencent) was also included in the executive order for the banning of transactions. The banning of WeChat will most likely not affect Americans too much as the app has been slow in adoption, but the same can’t be said about the st...
Police in the US state of Utah have taken the unusual step of urging residents not to drive blindfolded after an online challenge inspired by a horror film led to a crash. A teenager with her hat over her eyes drove into oncoming traffic in the city of Layton while taking part in the so-called "Bird Box Challenge". The craze has come from the Netflix film Bird Box, starring Sandra Bullock. Last week Netflix warned fans not to attempt the challenge. This week the same advice came from Layton police department. "It's just inexcusable to do something as dangerous as this, not only to yourself but everyone else on the road," said police Lt Travis Lyman, quoted by KSL.com. He said it was a warning he never thought he would have to give - don't drive while blindfolded. Bird Box Challenge while driving...predictable result. This happened on Monday as a result of the driver covering her eyes while driving on Layton Parkway. Luckily no injuries. p...
Ja Rule claims he was scammed and lost money through his involvement with 2017's Fyre Festival. The rapper has spoken out after two documentaries shed light on what happened at the flop Bahamas event. Ticket holders were promised a weekend partying with influencers on a private island but instead got rain-soaked mattresses in disaster tents and their luggage dumped in an unlit car-park. Ja denied he was involved in defrauding party-goers and locals on the island. Tickets for the festival were available for up to $75,000 (£58,000). Billy McFarland, founder of Fyre, is serving a six-year jail term but Ja Rule was not arrested or charged in connection with the fraud. He shared his views on the festival, the documentaries and questions on why his involvement wasn't being investigated by US authorities on Twitter I too was hustled, scammed, bamboozled, hood winked, lead astray!!! — Ja Rule (@Ruleyork) January 20, 2019 I too was hustled, scammed, bamboozled...
Comments
Post a Comment