Deontay Wilder scouts ... himself

Heavyweight champ Deontay Wilder (40-0-1, 39 KOs), coming off his contested split draw against Tyson Fury in December, fights Dominic Breazeale May 18 on Showtime. So we had an anonymous trainer assess Wilder -- then let Wilder respond.

TRAINER: Deontay Wilder is the rare fighter gifted with one-punch power. Unfortunately, it's only his right hand.

WILDER: The right hand, of course, has the ultimate power. But it's the way I set it up. That's just the punch you see that takes them out. The left brings the damage too. It can knock you out just as well. Trust me.

TRAINER: He's athletic and tall with good reach, but he tends to fight at his opponent's range instead of using his length.

WILDER: I'm one of the few tall guys that'll come down to your height. I'm so athletic! I do that because I use different styles. I'm never one way. People think I'm doing it because that's just my style. No, no, no. I'm doing things for a reason. They don't understand what they see.

TRAINER: His knockout streak has kept him from developing into the great boxer he could be. Also, his lack of weight and strength allows bigger opponents, like Tyson Fury [Wilder and Fury fought to a controversial draw on Dec. 1], to wear on him.

WILDER: I can count on one hand how many times I've outweighed my opponent in my pro career. People have in their mind that you have to be a certain weight. I debunked that years ago. Weight does add to the velocity [of the punch], but the technique, fast-twitch muscles, timing and positioning of your hands all work together. Boxing is a true science. That's why I can knock down a guy [Fury] 50-plus pounds heavier than I am.

TRAINER: Dominic Breazeale [21-0, 18 KOs] is a notch below the elite level, and Wilder will stop him in the last third of the fight.

WILDER: I'm going to go in there and destroy him. And I'm in a sport that allows you to do it. He's going to quit on himself. It's either going to be by choice or by force.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Japan's gripping manhunt ends in capture

Woman trapped in billionaire's New York lift all weekend

Governor jailed for sexual assault