Inspirational, lifestyle, News, and everything in the middle
China warns US over islands 'confrontation'
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
The angry response came after secretary of state nominee Rex
Tillerson said the US should deny Beijing access to new islands in the
South China Sea.
Two state-run papers carry editorials strongly criticising his comments.
The hawkish Global Times tabloid warned that any such action would lead to "a large-scale war".
Beijing
has been building artificial islands on reefs in waters also claimed by
other nations. Images published late last year show military defences
on some islands, a think-tank says.
Speaking at his confirmation hearing on Wednesday, Mr Tillerson
likened China's island-building to Russia's annexation of Crimea from
Ukraine.
"We're going to have to send China a clear signal that
first, the island-building stops and second, your access to those
islands also is not going to be allowed."
China's official
response, from foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang, was muted. China had
the right to conduct "normal activities" in its own territory, he said.
Asked specifically about the remark on blocking access, he said he would not respond to hypothetical questions.
The China Daily suggested Mr Tillerson's remarks showed ignorance of Sino-US relations and diplomacy in general.
"Such
remarks are not worth taking seriously because they are a mish-mash of
naivety, shortsightedness, worn-out prejudices and unrealistic political
fantasies," it said.
"Should he act on them in the real world, it would be disastrous.
"As
many have observed, it would set a course for devastating confrontation
between China and the US. After all, how can the US deny China access
to its own territories without inviting the latter's legitimate,
defensive responses?"
The Global Times, a nationalist daily, suggested
that Mr Tillerson's "astonishing" comments came because "he merely
wanted to curry favour from senators and increase his chances of being
confirmed by intentionally showing a tough stance toward China".
China would ensure his "rabble rousing" would not succeed, it went on.
"Unless
Washington plans to wage a large-scale war in the South China Sea, any
other approaches to prevent Chinese access to the islands will be
foolish."
The Obama administration has spoken out strongly against
the island-building, pledged to ensure freedom of navigation in the
South China Sea and sending navy ships to sail in contested areas.
But it has not threatened to block access to the islands, a step likely to enrage Beijing.
Mr
Tillerson did not explain how the US might block access to the islands,
and both Chinese papers suggested a wait-and-see policy.
"It remains to be seen to what extent his views against China will translate into US foreign policies," the China Daily said
After a little back and forth between TikTok and Trump, the future of ByteDance‘s viral TikTok app was up in the air as of early this week. That uncertainty has now been resolved in favor of Donald Trump as he has just placed an executive order banning all transactions from the app. Under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act and the National Emergencies Act, the executive order goes on to state that “the spread in the United States of mobile applications developed and owned by companies in the People’s Republic of China…continues to threaten the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States. At this time, action must be taken to address the threat posed by one mobile application, in particular, TikTok.” WeChat (owned by China’s Tencent) was also included in the executive order for the banning of transactions. The banning of WeChat will most likely not affect Americans too much as the app has been slow in adoption, but the same can’t be said about the st...
Police in the US state of Utah have taken the unusual step of urging residents not to drive blindfolded after an online challenge inspired by a horror film led to a crash. A teenager with her hat over her eyes drove into oncoming traffic in the city of Layton while taking part in the so-called "Bird Box Challenge". The craze has come from the Netflix film Bird Box, starring Sandra Bullock. Last week Netflix warned fans not to attempt the challenge. This week the same advice came from Layton police department. "It's just inexcusable to do something as dangerous as this, not only to yourself but everyone else on the road," said police Lt Travis Lyman, quoted by KSL.com. He said it was a warning he never thought he would have to give - don't drive while blindfolded. Bird Box Challenge while driving...predictable result. This happened on Monday as a result of the driver covering her eyes while driving on Layton Parkway. Luckily no injuries. p...
Ja Rule claims he was scammed and lost money through his involvement with 2017's Fyre Festival. The rapper has spoken out after two documentaries shed light on what happened at the flop Bahamas event. Ticket holders were promised a weekend partying with influencers on a private island but instead got rain-soaked mattresses in disaster tents and their luggage dumped in an unlit car-park. Ja denied he was involved in defrauding party-goers and locals on the island. Tickets for the festival were available for up to $75,000 (£58,000). Billy McFarland, founder of Fyre, is serving a six-year jail term but Ja Rule was not arrested or charged in connection with the fraud. He shared his views on the festival, the documentaries and questions on why his involvement wasn't being investigated by US authorities on Twitter I too was hustled, scammed, bamboozled, hood winked, lead astray!!! — Ja Rule (@Ruleyork) January 20, 2019 I too was hustled, scammed, bamboozled...
Comments
Post a Comment